Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Leaving the City

Difficult decision..... continue seeing the sites of NYC and battle the hurricane or head for home.... an easier decision based on a few factors....
  • Our car was parked in an outdoor lot adjacent to the East River
  • Our apartment was only going to be ours through Oct. 31 at 11
  • We were missing family, Virginia, our home and friends
  • We capped our visit with a mini reunion of good friends  from junior high school days in Elizabeth, New Jersey... Terrific venue and a wonderful way to conclude our visit
  • We had an amazing 28 days in NYC

It was made more difficult by the fact that college friends, Grace and Carol were due to arrive on Sunday for a visit.  Their plan was to arrive by train and to stay through dinner until an evening train would return them to New Jersey and Pennsylvania.  We had been planning our day since before we arrived in New York at the beginning of the month.  But, calling off the visit and packing up turned out to be wise as anyone who has seen the TV for the last 2 days will know.
I have 2 photos... not mine.... so I don't know if they will show up on the post or not...

We had an easy drive home and beat the storm to Virginia. We were able to get a quick visit in with Beth and her family in Richmond before returning to Chesapeake.    We had no damage either there or to our shared home on the Outer Banks.  We felt quite a connection to all the storm stories, having just spent time in so many of the locations that are being shown.  From all the Facebook posts and texts with friends, former students, and relatives in the area most have fared pretty well.  Damage is severe to the locations on the Jersey Shore where we also have friends and relatives.  We await further information, as do so many others, and hope for the best possible recovery for the huge area impacted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment